Simple Homemade Solar Panel Cooker
If you want to upgrade from your pizza box solar oven, we recommend trying to make this homemade solar panel cooker. A simple solar panel cooker is great for cooking small to medium dishes using the sun’s energy. Most of the materials needed to make this solar panel can be found at your local hardware store. Check out the procedure below:
What you need:
- Reflective Insulation
- Oven roasting bag
- Canning Jar with lid
- Ink marker
- Large paper clip
- Ink marker
- Black High Temp BBQ Paint
- Tape measure or yardstick
- Cut a three-foot length of reflector panel.
- Measure in 12” from both edges and mark on the edge.
- Start measuring up 8” from each mark.
- Trace and cut upwards the two 8-inch marks.
- Fold and crease the middle section up to make a flap between the 12-inch marks.
- Draw the 12-inch flaps inward, toward each other to form a “base” which will rest on the ground. This will make the panel stand on its own.
- Use the large paper clip to clip all three flaps together.
- Lightly coat the jar with high temperature BBQ paint to avoid the paint from running. It’s better to scuff your can if it’s new so that the paint will apply better.
- Once the paint is dry, repeat and apply a second coat and leave it to dry.
- Set the jar inside a large oven roasting bag then seal.
- Next, place the bag and jar between the reflector panels and in an upright position.
- You can use a black pot for larger meals.
- For better heating, place the jar or the pot on a trivet. When you do this, the sun’s rays will deflect the heat at the bottom of the trivet.